Thursday, December 20, 2007

New York: If you can make it here, you probably have a trust fund.


They say if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. Over the course of a weeks-long apartment search during which I had my cell phone stolen, got sick and encountered some of the strangest people and living situations I've ever come across, the truth of this statement slapped me in the face over and over again. So you can imagine how relieved I was when I finally handed in a deposit on a room in a lovely three-bedroom in Brooklyn tonight.

Before I came to New York, friends warned me that the housing search was going to be a nightmare, and it certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to. But it was something I embarked on with the idealistic optimism of the naive transplant that I was. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

One of my friends compared hunting for apartments to the birthing process, saying that the joy felt when it's all over is enough to make you forget all the pain and suffering that led up to it. All I know is, I never want to have kids and I also never want to look for an apartment in New York in the winter again, so they must have something in common. I'm writing this post first to say thank you to all my friends in Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey that made my move a little easier by providing beds/couches, food, support, transportation, help packing, advice, company, and car care. I'll never be able to repay you or adequately express how truly grateful I am.

The second reason I'm writing this is to act as a reminder to myself in case I get the inkling in the next year or so that I want to move again. Let's hope redecorating goes a bit more smoothly!

No comments: