Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Saving the world from terrorism, one indie record at a time


Add song demos to the list of things you shouldn't try to smuggle across the northern border.

Death Cab for Cutie guitarist/producer/genius Chris Walla's song files for his much-anticipated solo record Field Manual were confiscated by mounties Homeland Security officials this week when a courier from his record label tried to bring them into the U.S. from Canada, where Walla is recording the album.

Walla says he has master copies of the songs on tape and plans to mix the songs himself so the record can be released in January. He sounds like he's, predictably, taking the setback in stride and with a sense of humor.

"I can't just call their customer-service center and ask about my drive. There's nothing I can do. I don't know if we can hire an attorney ... is there a black-hole attorney? You can't take a black hole to court."

According to Walla, the album does have "very political" undercurrents. The title refers to a World War II-era guide about how to build IEDs, he says, and some of the songs deal with topics such as Hurricane Katrina, the war in Iraq, and morning-after pills. Sounds like it will be the dance hit of the summer!

But seriously, this is ridiculous. Why can't Homeland Security seize, like, Fall Out Boy's records or something? That would show the terrorists!

2 comments:

D. Paul said...

I'm actually listening to "Plans" as I read this. Sigh, there's really no such thing as common sense in government, is there?

Andrea said...

I wish someone would seize Fall Out Boy. Not the album...Just the "boys." So tired of seeing them...

Seriously though, I'm not surprised by this one bit, which is unfortunate. I'm so used to living in this "post-9/11" world.