Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Golden Globe picks/Top movies

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm simply not going to get a chance to see many of the better movies 2007 had to offer at any point in the near future, so here's a partial list out of the ones I've seen so far:

1. Gone Baby Gone (doubtful this would change)
2. Charlie Wilson's War
3. Zodiac
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Juno
6. In the Valley of Elah
7. Michael Clayton


(Ed. note: I haven't seen I'm Not There, There Will Be Blood, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Once, Atonement, The Kite Runner, No End in Sight, American Gangster, Into the Wild or 3:10 to Yuma, all of which I think would have stood a decent shot of making my top 10).

Along the same lines, I have to make my picks for the Golden Globes with only limited information. Oh well. The list below is for the categories for which I have an opinion.

Since the awards show has been canceled in light of the writers' strike, reading this blog entry will probably be about as exciting as watching the awards get doled out press conference-style tonight. Interesting though: I wonder how many members of the general public were even aware of the WGA strike (which has been going on for weeks) before the Globes were canceled.

Best Picture, Drama: No Country for Old Men
Best Picture, Musical/Comedy: Charlie Wilson's War
Best Actress, Musical/Comedy: Ellen Page, Juno
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Best Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Best Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin, Charlie Wilson's War


Television:
-Best series, Drama: Grey's Anatomy (in all fairness, I haven't seen any of the other shows. But Grey's experienced a wonderful return to form this year that I think would be hard to top. Although I hear Damages is great.)
-Best actress, drama: Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
-Best actor, drama: I haven't seen any of the nominees, but based on reviews and word of mouth, I would say Michael C. Hall, Dexter
-Best series, comedy: 30 Rock, hands down
-Best actress, comedy: Tina Fey, 30 Rock
-Best actor, comedy: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
-Best supporting actress: Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters

No comments: