Friday, January 18, 2008

Editors razzle-dazzle

I was completely blown away by the Editors' concert at Terminal 5 last night. I mean, wow. I can't remember the last time I've seen such a powerful live performance.

Thanks to the cold, icky weather, I was undecided about whether or not to go to the show, but I ended up saying "what the hell" and bought a ticket at the box office, figuring I would leave if I got bored or tired. I'm so glad I went. The band was amazing, the sound was impeccable, and Terminal 5 is a great venue. I ended up chatting extensively with a musician/deejay in the crowd, mostly about how much singer Tom Smith resembles a Morrissey/Ian Curtis hybrid. But we also both remarked on the incredible feeling of straightforward positive energy among what felt like a sell-out crowd. Smith has a stunning ability to command an audience's attention, and the band's hopeful lyrics and soaring melodies make for a great live music experience. I think this is definitely going to be one of my favorite live shows this year.

Supporters Hot Hot Heat put on a good show, as well.

All in all, it was a great way to kick off what will be a music-filled weekend for me. Check back early next week for my updates on tomorrow's Blonde Redhead show and Kaki King's performance at the Apple Store in Soho on Sunday. I heart New York:).

No comments: